January 6th was a very sad day for every American 😔
The US capitol was under siege, people were (and still are) very divisive towards each other, and the President of the United States was banned, suppressed, or censored on almost all big tech platforms ...
- YouTube has removed a video of Trump disputing the 2020 presidential election results while telling rioters "we love you, you're very special" but "go home in peace."
- Facebook went one step further and decided to freeze Trump's Facebook and Instagram accounts "indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete," Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook's CEO, wrote in a post.
- Snapchat has also "locked" Trump's account following the Capitol siege, a Snap spokesperson told Insider on Thursday.
- Twitch has also frozen Trump's account, and will make further decisions about his account after Biden is inaugurated, The Verge reported.
- Twitter removed the same one-minute video that YouTube and Facebook dismissed. Shortly after, the social media platform locked Trump's Twitter account and removed three tweets — including one with the aforementioned video — and replaced the posts with "this Tweet is no longer available" messages. As a result, Trump could either delete the tweets to gain access to his account after 12 hours or remain frozen out of his Twitter account.
- Shopify removed stores with ties to Trump, including shop.donaldjtrump.com and trumpstore.com.
Although these are private companies, their power goes unchecked and is essential to the cultural fabric of our society and way of life.
We at AmericanWaffle host our entire website on Shopify, which has previously defended free speech and expression back in 2017, but now changes its stance.
We do not know what this will hold for the future:
- Will we be shut down completely without notice?
- Will we be forced to remove all Trump /political gear from our site?
What we do know is this is very scary to us as a small business, and not good for the future of free speech and expression.